How do you like the “Tang Czu Pai Gu” last week? As I told you in last post, the recipe of this week will be about beef.
So, I’ve prepared the authentic Chinese appetizer — Spiced Beef Shank for everyone.
1.What you need:
- First you need the right beef — beef shank for this appetizer. (around 1 pound in the picture);
- Spices: Cinnamon,Star Anise, Anise Seed, Thyme Leaves, Bay leaves;
- Sauces: Toban Djan, Light Soy Sauce, Dark Soy Sauce, Salt, Crystal Sugar;
- Others: Scallion(or Green Onion), Gingers.
2. Preparation: This time we need to leave one day in advance for the cooking process.
- First, cut the beef shank into small parts(neither too small nor too big, I cut it into three parts);
- Then put them into the zipper bags separately, add some cooking wine and little salt into the bags. Make sure that the beef shank soaks into the cooking wine in the bag;
- Seal the bags, and refrigerate them (not frozen) for at least 12 hours.
- First, take the beef shank out of the fridge and boil it in cold water on high heat;
- Till the water boils, and all the blood in the beef has been floating on the water, take the beef out and wash them with warm water, and put them aside for later use;
- While the beef is on the stove, we can start preparing the stuff for later use;
- we need:
two sticks of cinnamon;
four pieces of bay leaves;(and tear them in to small pieces)
30 grams of crystal sugar;
four star anise;
half spoon of anise seed;
a quarter spoon of thyme leaves;
(some chili if you like to)
- We also need three scallion (cut into small parts), two pieces of gingers;
- Now we need a pot with a lid, boil 2 cups ( 480 ml) of water on high heat;
- Put all the spices with scallions and gingers into the boiling water;
- Add 15 spoons of light soy sauce, 6 spoons of dark soy sauce, 5 spoons of Toban Djan, and 5 grams of salt into the boiling pot;
- Now put the lid on and boil the beef shank on medium-low heat for 1 hour;
- Add some eggs into it if you want to get two dishes in one pot;
- After 1 hour, turn off the heat and leave the lid on (DO NOT OPEN!) for at least 18 hours to pickle the beef shank thoroughly;
- 18 hours (or more) later, take the beef shank out and cut them into pieces;
- Ta-dah! Your Spiced Beef Shank is ready. Bon appetit.
- Make sure the water can cover all the beef when boiling;
- Leave the lid on after turning off the heat, never open until 18 hours later;
- Taste the juice in the pot to make sure it is slightly saltier than normal juice.
So, enjoy your meal. Any kinds of questions are welcome, see you in the comments.
Next week is spring break, so I’ll see you two weeks from now.
Remember, I’m Linx, a marketer, not a chef. I’m LinxNotChef.